Friday, June 10, 2011

A Knight’s Tale


I gallop forth, head held high
Valiant, Proud, Stout, I sigh
In my dreams, a wishing star
Whispers softly from afar

A single caress, oh so sweet
That fair maiden of the street
I wave and bow, I kiss her hand
Until I spot her wedding band

She blushes, pulls her hand away
Nudges me, I gently sway
‘Twas but just a dream
Stifling my urge to scream

I look about ‘tis her I seek
Neither crimson, shy nor meek
Feisty ‘stead, bravest of all
Takes onus o’ the castle’s call

And guards too, both left and right
Black and white, melded in might
Street pawn no more, now royalty
Rags to riches- just fine by me

Oh possessor of my heart, my queen
Was my love for thee unforeseen?
Your bewitching eyes had me deceived
Affection in them I had perceived

I’m just your average knight
Shining armour burning bright
But all I really want to be
Is Protector of Her Majesty

And though I’d rather slit his throat
To him I my services devote
That wretched fool, we call him king
And in his honour, ballads sing

One step in time might save nine
But my daft man, where is your spine?
Fight your battles on your own
Not send your wife to guard the throne

If not for her you’d long be gone
Exiled or dead, crown forgone
So show more grace and trust your fate
And will her freedom to choose her mate

No comments: